Struggling hard to breathe every time you turn on the air conditioner? Does the air in your room feel smelly and dusty? Have you noticed any performance drop recently in your window ac like it’s getting hot and noisy? Well, it looks like your ac is screaming and asking for a good cleaning!
There can be quite a lot of reasons behind a loud ac, but proper cleaning should be the first thing you do before panicking and calling a technician. Sometimes the simplest thing we overlook can be the solution to all of our problems.
Let’s face it. Window air conditioners are heavy and huge. Disassembling and setting up window air conditioner parts all over again is not a fun thing to do like solving 3D puzzles. It takes a lot of labor. So, you may find yourself asking how to clean a window air conditioner without removing it?
We’re here to fill you in on everything you need to know about window ac cleaning and maintenance. So, without any further delay, let’s get started.
Why Do We Need to Clean Window Ac Unit?
Before putting in all the efforts, let’s know why are we doing it in the first place.
Cleaning window ac unit isn’t just a clean freak’s thing. You must do this if you want to stay healthy. Mold is a fungus that builds up in warm and moist places. So, the inside of your ac is a perfect place for them to grow if you don’t keep them clean.
Infiltrating in your ac can make your room smell like a dirty sock! That sounds gross, isn’t it? It can also put your respiratory health in trouble by causing asthma, allergy problems, chronic cough, etc. So, clean your ac often to inhale a fresher and healthier air.
Moreover, a dirty ac overworks to produce the same result. So, it makes disturbing noises and becomes hot as it consumes more power. Cleaning your ac will boost up its performance by reducing the workload and making it much more efficient. As a result, it will run quieter taking less energy. Your happy machine will run longer, going easy on the environment.
This brings us back to the question, “how to clean window air conditioner without removing it?” Surely it isn’t the best way to clean window air conditioner like pulling the parts apart and cleaning is. But it can also give quite satisfying results if done properly.
How to Clean a Window Air Conditioner without Removing it?
Before getting started, make sure to go through the user guide that comes with your ac. You can find all the basic dos and don’ts there. Can’t find it? No worries. Everything’s up on the internet. Just google it. Keeping these things near will come handy as you don’t have to mess around to find them when you work:
- Bucket or bowl
- Spray bottle
- Hot water
- Detergent or bleach
- Soft brush
- Piece of cloth or rugs
- Vacuum cleaner
- Some old newspapers
- Small tray
- Fin comb
- Can have compressed air
As you have got all these things, you’re now good to go for a cleaning. Follow the easy steps given below on how to clean a window air conditioner without removing it. Give that ac of yours a good shine.
- Before working on the air conditioner, please make sure to unplug all the power sources. Put on all of the safety gear. Better be safe than sorry, no?
- Remove the front cover. Most of them are snap off. Some have screws holding it in place. See the manual and take them off.
- Now take out the filter. Pour some detergent or half cup bleach into hot water. Fill the sink with it. Soak the filter in the sink.
- Remove the case. Take the screws out using a screwdriver. Keep them on the tray, or somewhere you can easily find. Get rid of the front and back grille and the other easily removable parts. Soak them in hot soapy water too.
- Vacuum the air conditioner’s interior. Use proper vacuum hose attachments to suck out the dust balls and dirt. If you notice any patches of mold, wipe them out using a wet cloth or rug.
- Brush the fins using a soft nylon brush. Do it gently as the fins get bend easily. Bent fins block the air while blowing the dust-out.
- Fill a spray bottle with hot water and some drops of detergents. Give it a good shake to mix. Spray all over the interior, where you can wipe off later. Blow dust from nooks and corners by a can of compressed air. Use moderate water pressure while spraying the fins.
- Now come to the exterior keeping the interior drenched in spray. Brush it well. Clean off the dry tree leaves and dust. Wipe each part to give it a better cleaning.
- Returning back to the interior, give it a good wipe with a wet rug to get rid of any residue of the cleanser. Leave everything for a while to dry. This is how to clean the inside of a window air conditioner.
- Set every component back in the order you took them apart. Puzzled? Relax. Take help from the user manual.
There you have a clean and fresh like brand new ac again. You are welcome!
How to Clean a Wall Air Conditioner without Removing It?
Without taking the help of any technician, removing wall mounted ac and cleaning regularly is a nearly impossible thing because that’s sealed in the wall. If you own wall ac, don’t lose hope. We are here to help. Our tips and tricks are guaranteed to work like a charm on your ac:
- Turn the ac off by unplugging.
- Take off the front panel.
- Remove the filter.
- Vacuum the filter to get rid of the dust and dirt. If you don’t have a vacuum cleaner, you can tap the filter off against the wall to knock the dust off. Surely it won’t give the same result as vacuuming, but the outcome will be pretty satisfying.
- Grab a Pure Castile liquid soap or prepare a cleansing solution mixing water and vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. Pour 10 drops of peppermint oil in the mixture and give it a good shake. Now spray it all over the filter and the front panel.
- The dirt has loosened up by now. Scrub the spray-soaked filter and front panel with a sponge. Stop when you see a good layer of foam.
- Rinse them under the faucet with a hose. Leave them to dry.
- Now come to the inside of the ac unit. Vacuum it well. You can use a paper towel or brush to clean up the gunk too.
- Spray mold and mildew remover to prevent mold and bacteria from growing inside your air conditioner.
- Castile liquid soap works like wonder as a window air conditioner cleaning spray. Spray it or your prepared cleanser on the back unit. Wash it off with water.
- Make sure to check the water hole beneath your ac. If it’s clogged, clear it out.
- Set the filter and the front panel back on ac once they get dry and clean.
Trust us. You can feel the change in the air. Your ac will run great and blow wonderful cold air just like a new one!
Pro Tip: After you clean the filter pour some liquid fabric softener on a piece of cloth and wipe the filter. Next time it will be much easier to clean because of the anti-static effect.
Do you know a dirty evaporator and condenser coils can increase the energy usage of your air conditioning system by over 30 percent? You might be unknowingly paying extra money for being lazy! You don’t want that, do you? So, here’s how to clean evaporator coils on window air conditioner. Take a look.
How to Clean Window Air Conditioner Coils?
Dirty coils make it difficult for your ac to cool your place. As a result, your machine will work harder and consume more electricity. It can breakdown too. Don’t worry. They just need your love and care once in a year unless you live in an abnormally dusty environment.
The fins on the evaporator are really delicate. They can get bend with very little force. So, turn off the ac and take out the access panel on the air handler. Though there are so many types of evaporator coil cleaner but the most convenient and effective one is foaming cleanser as it doesn’t need to be rinsed.
Spray it using a spray bottle or a gardening sprayer. Give it some time to soak in and loose debris. Use a coil brush or a paintbrush to remove firmly stuck debris, if necessary. Wash it off with moderate pressure of water.
Now you might be wondering how to clean condenser coils on the window air conditioner. Well, most of the product manufacturers recommend calling in a professional. But we are here with a cost-effective solution. First, vacuum the fins to get rid of the dust and debris that can block the airflow. Then remove the fan and clean inner fins with a good no-rinse foaming coil cleaner. Use a soft bristles nylon brush if they need to be scrubbed. Lightly rinse as they get bend easily. A fin comb can help you out to straighten them once they get twisted or curved.
You May Also Like: Can I Put Fabric Softener In The Bleach Dispenser
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It’s super annoying when your air conditioner makes horrendous noise. But it’s crying for help. Maybe a good cleaning is all it’s asking for.
Hope you have got the proper guidance you were looking for on how to clean a window air conditioner without removing it. Though it’s a bit hassle but it’s all worth it when you get to have wonderful nice fresh cold air. Want a soothing summer? Get set, go for a nice clean!